This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy thru these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Kim Komando has shed some light on a little-known secret in the world of plants & flowers.
In her Newsletter, she wrote:
Have you wondered what happens to the plants nurseries don’t sell? I was surprised to learn that they’re destroyed. What a waste! Well, Free Trees and Plants “rescues” unsold plants. Then they’re offered to you for free — you only pay postage and handling.— Kim Komando
…How cool is that?!?
What Plants Are Available?
Free Trees & Plants, you can choose from a wide variety of free perennials, free trees, and free shrubs.
UPDATE: Since that website is no longer online, I’ve found a few other places you can get FREE flowers, trees & shrubs! (Listed below.)
- All plants come from the very same growers as those in the famous garden catalogs. They are of the highest quality… they were just unsold.
- Your satisfaction is guaranteed. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with your free plants at anytime within 60 days from the day they arrive, they will replace them without further shipping and processing.
- Your free nursery items will arrive at the time that’s right for plant in your area.
- The plants are shipped to you in their “dormant” state (which means that they’re hibernating). Their foliage and color will reappear once they are planted.
From the site: “Your dormant plants are coddled and cared for from the field to your front door. We send bare root stock that has been dipped in a hydro-gel and sealed in a polybag to create a mini greenhouse that protects and nourishes it until it reaches you.”
How Do They Do It For Free?
They employ disabled workers to gather and prepare the plants for shipping. A project like this helps people who sometimes have difficulties finding employment.
For the record, the nominal fee that you pay for shipping and processing (around $7.99 per plant) covers the costs associated with the following:
(Every step is done by hand.)
- Size Sorting
- Unit Grouping
- Hydro Dipping
- Packaging Labor
- Packaging Materials
- Postal Sorting
- Postage To Your Door
Legit Ways To Get FREE Flowers, Trees, And Shrubs
Our firsthand tips for planting trees yourself:
- How To Plant A Tree Step-By-Step
- Where To Find Good Deals Buying Trees Online
- My Experience Planting Trees From Seedlings
#9 – Search For Free Tree Programs Near You
Some examples from where I live in Nashville:
- Nashville Tree Foundation
- TN Dept Of Agriculture Free Trees For Land Owners
- Nashville Free Trees For Private Property Owners
I like to help people find unique ways to do things that will save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” Household Tips and Life Hacks that most wouldn’t think of. I’m super-organized. And I LOVE to clean! I even enjoy doing laundry (but not ironing). I’m also a lifelong dog owner — so I often share my favorite tips for living with dogs inside your home (like smart home design choices and dog-friendly cleaning & decorating ideas). Career-wise, I’ve been sharing my best ideas with others by blogging full-time since 1998 (the same year that Google started… and before the days of Facebook and YouTube). Prior to that, I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I’m truly passionate about instead. For example, I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. When I’m not cleaning, organizing, decorating, or fixing something… you’ll find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites). To date, I’ve personally written over 200 articles about cleaning, organization, DIY repairs, and household hacks on this site! A few have over 2M shares; many others have over 100K shares.