In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products & services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
- May 30th to June 1st were the busiest days of the year in terms of moving.
- August 31st through Sept 1st ran a close second.
- The dates in between were pretty active as well (June 2nd through August 30th).
Of course, the busiest moving days of the year are largely dictated by the region of the country you live in and the local school calendar.
- College students are most likely move when college lets out in the spring. Then they are in a rush to move back in just in time for school to begin in the fall.
- Families with kids are most likely to move in the summer months, as to not disrupt the children’s school year.
If You’ll Be Renting An Apartment…
For the above reasons, you are likely to pay more for an apartment if you plan to move in May or August.
On the other hand, landlords tend to be more flexible with prices (and more desperate to rent) in the fall and winter.
You will also notice that a landlord is more likely to write a lease that ends in the spring or summer (rather than in the winter), in order to ensure that they will have plenty of new tenants to choose from.
Renters typically have fewer items to move and are therefore more likely to move themselves from apartment to apartment, college to home, or home to college.
The most popular moving options for small moves include:
- Transporting your belongings in your own vehicle (and maybe the vehicles of friends or family members)
- Renting a small moving truck (which gives you much more packing space than a car does)
- Renting a portable moving pod (which gives you the most flexibility to pack your stuff yourself, then call the moving company to haul it)
If You’ll Be Buying A House…
If you’re a homeowner and you will be moving items for an entire household, then you will probably be more likely to call a professional mover to handle your move.
In that case, it’s helpful to know that the busiest times for moving companies are during the summer months (May 15th through September 15th). Particularly at the end of those months, the number of moving shipments is extremely heavy.
A few tips before moving to a new home:
- 7 Packing & Moving Tips For Parents With Young Children
- Moving Insurance: Do You Need It? What Does It Cover?
- Must-Have Moving Supplies You’ll Definitely Need
- 9 Tips For Moving With Your Pet
- Everything You Need To Know About Moving Boxes
- What You Should Know Before Buying Or Renting Moving Blankets
- The Best Moving Checklist Ever!
- Moving Supplies: Everything You Need To Pack For A Move
Here are more tips regarding the best day, month, and time to move!
I have been a certified tightwad since I became pregnant with my first child and decided to find a way to stay home with him. I enjoy sharing my experiences in my journey back to financial health and planning for a future — which will include sending 2 kids to college and early retirement.